Larchmont Village

I’m sitting outside in front of Jamba Juice drinking a Mega Mango smoothie. It could be anywhere, except for the palm trees to my right and also the unfortunate fact that Jamba Juices only seem to pop up in places that have an average year-round temperature of 75 degrees, a truth that makes me resent living in a place with all four seasons.

The location: Larchmont Village in Los Angeles, California. The day: Beautiful. The standard gray morning haze is just beginning to burn off, and the sun is starting to warm the air. Larchmont Boulevard is like a quintessential Main Street, but about four times as long as the typical center thoroughfare. Just from where I’m sitting, I see a Belgian chocolate shop, a French café, three little clothing boutiques, a mini day spa, a book store, and a Blockbuster (where I ended up renting two movies last night so I wouldn’t feel quite so alone in Jeanne’s empty house).

There is a yoga studio a couple of blocks down and people carrying yoga mats keep walking by. It makes me want to grab a mat, stroll right in and get into mountain pose. I stay seated instead and watch the parade of people march by. Perfectly groomed fashionistas, uniformed school girls, smartly dressed businessmen and women, happy mothers with kids, weary nannies with kids, regular old joes and every kind of person in between are out today.

The house where I’m staying is just a few blocks away, and I walked here last night for dinner at Village Pizza, a pizza joint established by a guy from Brooklyn. I am so thankful for New York pie makers and their ability to make the world a better place. A world without them would be dreary indeed.

Larchmont Village is where individually owned stores thrive. I’m not exactly supporting the local entrepreneurs by getting Jamba Juice (the fruity equivalent of Starbucks), but in my defense, I’m planning on hitting up the Larchmont Village Wine and Cheese Shop next to check out their menu. I’ve heard they have a killer sandwich.

4 comments:

    ahhh tis splendid you are in my old stomping grounds, and seemingly loving life eh'?

     

    Um...Jealous! It sounds like you're having a really good time! You should take some pictures of all the fabulous things you're writing about. So I can feel like I'm there too! :) Love you!

     

    That is all wonderful, great, well, and fine....now COME HOME!
    That's my way of saying I miss you! :D

     

    Good luck Sam! Have fun!

     

Blogger Templates by Blog Forum