Overly computer literate

Computers. Such a necessary evil in today's technology-driven world. I make my living on one, and I'm so grateful for the freedom it gives me and the luxury of being able to work from my bed. It makes me feel so decadent on the mornings when I can sleep in until 10, wake up, reach over for my computer and begin typing from under my covers.

Computers also make finding information a breeze. Sometimes too much information. I feel inundated at times when I'm searching for a chocolate chip cookie recipe or road trip idea. Do I want a crunchy cookie with nuts or a chewy cookie with chocolate AND butterscotch chips? Do I want to take the Pacific Coast Highway all the way down to LA or spend more time in San Diego by taking Hwy 5 all the way down?

And then there's something I've noticed more over the past year than ever before. It messes with human interaction. Especially when laptops are involved.

Last year, I went over to a friend's house, and he spent the entire night on his laptop searching for cameras on the Internet. I barely even got a hello. I felt extremely insignificant and upset that I had driven all the way over there only to be ignored. Recently, I've been dealing with similar situations. Not quite as extreme, but people go into their own little secluded worlds when on their laptops and forget about the human beings in the room with them. Extreme time-wasting is being done. Relationships aren't being nurtured like they need to be, because people are too busy checking their Facebook. I don't want to fall into this trap. I understand that certain things must be done on computers and there is a time and a place for them. But there is also a time and a place for NOT having them. And I want more of that time and more of that place.

1 comments:

    is that time right now?, are you striking out? :)

     

Blogger Templates by Blog Forum